Thursday, October 1, 2015

Platt on giftedness of a church congregation

When I was considering becoming the pastor of a faith family I now lead, I thought and even said to other people, "This church has so many resources-so many gifts, so many talents, so many leaders, so much money. If this church could get behind a global purpose, it could shake the nations for the glory of God."

I have since discovered that this was a woefully wrongheaded way to think. The reality is that it doesn't matter how many resources the church has. The church I lead could have all the man-made resources that one could imagine, but apart from the power of the Holy Spirit, such a church will do nothing of significance for the glory of God.

In fact, I believe the opposite is true. The church I lead could have the least gifted people, the least talented people, the fewest leaders, and the least money, and this church under the power of the Holy Spirit could still shake the nations for his glory. The reality is that the church I lead can accomplish more during the next month in the power of God's Spirit than we can in the next hundred years apart from his provision. His power is so superior to ours. Why do we not desperately seek it?

From Page 53-4 of 
Radical

No comments:

Post a Comment