Thursday, December 1, 2016

Review: Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor's Personal Journey Through Depression

Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor's Personal Journey Through Depression Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor's Personal Journey Through Depression by Michelle Bengtson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is a powerful testimony seasoned with a generous dose of love for the author. My initial fear that it would be (i) a pitiable self-absorbed account and (ii) lame five point self-help quick fix were unfounded. As a serial book reviewer, I'd often pass them on to make space on my shelf for new titles; but this is a very special book and I'm wrestling to part with it. Most likely, it would end up on my shelf with what I regard to be the 6 star collection of books.

Bengtson authentically tells of her painful encounters with depression in her family members, her childhood and finally in her adult years. The amount of detail is tasteful and not once did I feel that she wanted attention to herself as a mighty victor; rather I sense her heart's desire to point the reader to God and cling upon him.

Do take time to read the tail end of each chapter, it is filled with the brilliant Rx ("doctor's prescription"), the ever sincere and empathetic prayer, and most interestingly, a recommended playlist of Christian music. What could make it better? Perhaps providing a spotify playlist link for us readers to not have to search each song individually?

As one well acquainted with depression's vice grip and perpetual hopelessness, I was thoroughly blessed by this labour of love. I heartily recommend this book - if you struggle with depression or would like to understand it better to reach out to someone you know who does.

I received this book from the Baker Publishing Group's Revell Blogger Team Program for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment