Monday, November 28, 2016

Review: The New Believer's Guide to the Christian Life: What Will Change, What Won't, and Why It Matters

The New Believer's Guide to the Christian Life: What Will Change, What Won't, and Why It Matters The New Believer's Guide to the Christian Life: What Will Change, What Won't, and Why It Matters by Alex Early
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As a serial book reviewer, I have felt a deep sense of despair. After having read so so many books where I had no idea why on earth the authors had to put so much effort to justify their man-made ideas that could find no proper Scriptural backing, Early's tiny little book has brought me so so much joy! I'd give it 6 stars if I could!

Thoroughly researched with wonderful gospel truths, no theological axe to grind, and written in such accessible and engaging language. What more can we ask for? The title would suggest that it is meant for new Christians, but I as a 28 year old final year seminary student who had been born into the church, enjoyed the read thoroughly. I found myself agreeing every so often as I devoured the book in a single sitting. I recognise the masterful ability to convey complicated theological truths in simple terminology (something that I still am learning to do), and Early does it flawlessly.

One area for improvement though, I found the narrow margins (I do not like opening the book to the extreme "flatness" to protect the spine) and the narrower-than-A5 size to be an unhelpful distraction. Hopefully in the subsequent revisions, it would either be released as a proper pocket sized book, or as a normal paperback sized title.

I received this book from the Baker Publishing Group's Blogger Review Program for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment