Thursday, December 29, 2016

Review: Essential Worship: A Handbook for Leaders

Essential Worship: A Handbook for Leaders Essential Worship: A Handbook for Leaders by Greg Scheer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As an avid book reviewer, I classify books into three categories: (i) so-so books that I'd sell away, (ii) 5 star books that I'd keep on my shelf for future reference and (iii) 6 star books that I'd purchase additional copies to give away.

To this gem of a book, its an easy choice to be considered for the 6 stars. Scheer grounds his book with Scripture (no noticeable opinions or assertions I found), providing thorough research (both historical and present day), illustrates theological principles with modern day analogies/illustrations, and somehow packing it all into a highly practical and reflective package. There were also plenty of diagrams, charts and pictures to visually complement ideas put forward, extremely apt quotes from historical Christians, an extensive recommended book list scattered all over the chapters and an impressive footnoted bibliography.

At 283 pages, Scheer targets a very specific audience - it is directed primarily at worship directors (and secondarily pastoral staff/lay leaders/worship band members) who care enough about their church's worship condition/climate to digest a book of this length.

I'd imagine that any further brevity would sacrifice the quality and clarity of the content. One of the most profound takeaways was food for thought found right at the preface - how would we plan our funeral service to be executed and what meaning do we hope those attending would take with them?

I received this book from the Baker Publishing Group's Blogger Team Program for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment