Sunday, May 7, 2017

Review: The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God

The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God by Timothy J. Keller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's quite comical and yet embarrassing how I discovered that I had read this book twice. I'd be so angry with my wife that I am unable to sleep, and so I see this book lying on my bookshelf and seek to read it to see what does the Kellers have to say to help me cool down. (The first time I got sleepy halfway went to bed straight after reading so I didn't remember much of it).

So this time I'm making sure I penned my brief thoughts down. Having had a keen interest on dating and attracting the opposite gender since my youth, I had read dozens of books on (biblical) manhood, dating (or not dating), courtship and marriage. I rate this title as one of best I have read - Gary Thomas' The Sacred Search, McDowell & Lewis' Givers, takers & other kinds of lovers, and Janssen's Your marriage masterpiece being the others I rate highly.

I was quite skeptical (as I would be about any Tim Keller book or sermon/lecture) - even though I cherish how my mentor journeyed with me through The Prodigal God and thus helped me gain an appreciation of the Gospel, receiving and extending grace - because of the many "fanboys" I know who irritatingly quote Keller a tad too often. So I was surprised to have found the book to be an easy yet enriching read - simple enough for the lay person to understand, yet profound enough for the scholarly types to engage in some theological wrestling.

The Kellers ground the content with a responsible exposition of Scripture, and Tim does what he does best - contexualise the theological truths and providing brilliant illustrations to help the readers better understand them clearly. Sometimes the Kellers provide a personal account of their own marriage on the topic, but always we are presented the opportunity to evaluate how we measure up God's invitation to his design for marriage (or singlehood). I heartily recommend this book - both to the married and unmarried - and regard this as a 6 star title.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment