Saturday, August 27, 2016

Review: Loving My Actual Life: An Experiment in Relishing What's Right in Front of Me

Loving My Actual Life: An Experiment in Relishing What's Right in Front of Me Loving My Actual Life: An Experiment in Relishing What's Right in Front of Me by Alexandra Kuykendall
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book has a unique format, somewhat like a daily journal for one month "experiments" in every chapter. So because she has actually tried to put these ideas into real life practice, the book doesnt come across as the work of a wannabe psychologist-cum-life-coach-author giving her two cents worth. While I do appreciate the practical suggestions and see how they could actually be quite useful when implement in my own life, I do wonder what the references or sources are.

To be honest, after the few few chapters, I found it extremely difficult to read through every single day of the journal entries. I guess if I were Kuykendall's close friend, I'd be sincerely interested. Or perhaps if Ravi Zacharias or D A Carson (or whoever your favourite authors/theologians would be) were to share their day-to-day lives with readers, then it would be a great delight. But for me, I felt that it was a bit too much detail that did not catch my interest.

A caveat though... Although I get the impression that the book seems to be a Christian title, I was hard pressed to find citations of Scripture or perhaps even quotes from other authors from the field of Spiritual Formation/Christian Living. So I guess this book would be an ideal gift to pre-believing or post-Christian friends you think may need find useful a regime to cope with their busy lives a little bit better?

I received this book from the Baker Publishing Group's Blogger Review Program for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment