Monday, January 4, 2016

Review: When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box

When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box by John Ortberg
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A masterpiece. I read it in a day, though not in a single sitting. As a bible school student, I gravitate toward more theologically "deep" and "scholarly" titles. This I have to admit was a pleasant surprise (partially because I've read his "The Life You've Always Wanted" and found it to be so-so.

I am so thankful to Ortberg for reminding me what on earth should I be doing with my life, even as I am embarking on a new journey in life that would kickoff the start of a career (and involve financing the purchase of a new house). It is so easy to be caught up with the truly temporal things of this world, acquiring material goods and objects, even to give one's life in the pursuit of attain greater wealth, recognition, power, maybe even friends. I would not be able to do justice to John's brilliant narrative if I were to try and summarise the key points, but I do highly highly recommend you purchase it (or borrow it from a library) and let the Holy Speak to you through it!

Ortberg skills as a master storyteller is evident in this book, with the many illustrative stories to keep the reader interested on his various theses. I enjoyed the book so much that I promptly ordered 2 more to keep as would-be gifts when the occasion arises! Almost everything in this book I thoroughly agree with, the only thing that i would be hesitant to endorse would be that solomon was the author or the book of Ecclesiastes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment