Thursday, March 31, 2016

Review: Rooted: The Hidden Places Where God Develops You

Rooted: The Hidden Places Where God Develops You Rooted: The Hidden Places Where God Develops You by Banning Liebscher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this book and read it in one seating. There's no heavy typological or foreshadowing of Christ here. What we get instead are plenty of lively stories from Banning's (and family's) life and ministry. He attempts to communicate a simple message - to be rooted intimately with God, in service to him and in the context of a community.

I was constantly engaged with the unfolding thesis of the book, and was kept hooked from the get go. The plentiful sharing of the real-life memories and experiences (especially the painful/embarrassing ones) helped Banning connect with a young reader like myself. I appreciated the authenticity and vulnerability thoroughly. I'd probably increase the 4 stars to 5 if more emphasis (and pages) was placed on the necessity of the believer actively seeking to be rooted in the 3 soils (Intimacy, serving, community).

I'm actually conflicted as to whether I wished he had gone in greater depth for each of the bible passages he cited. After wrestling for a moment, I think he made the right choice in the touch-and-go methodology in citing Scripture. (Because the more reformed would probably not even pick up a book by a Jesus Culture pastor in the first place!) As I reflect on what this main lines of propositions Banning attempted to convey, I am reminded of James Bryan Smith's Good and Beautiful triology. This book (Rooted) would serve as a superb appetitiser (should a small group or church leader decide to ease the flock to journey together with the Good and Beautiful series).

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment