Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Review: The Pastor's Book: A Comprehensive and Practical Guide to Pastoral Ministry

The Pastor's Book: A Comprehensive and Practical Guide to Pastoral Ministry The Pastor's Book: A Comprehensive and Practical Guide to Pastoral Ministry by R. Kent Hughes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I would imagine that this book especially if you are (or know someone who is or is going to be) a relatively new pastor that has just gone into ministry. Many of the chapters alone would make the US$30 seem like a serious bargain (like the ones on weddings, funerals, prayers, pastoral counselling); each of these chapters highlighted in parentheses are, in my opinion, worth the price of the book. The authors hail from a more conservative and liturgical background, but have countless insights, suggestions and advice that even more "modern" and less-liturgical people like me will find timelessly helpful.

My guess (and what I have been told) is that Bible School would prepare one to be relatively adept at interpreting (and hopefully preaching) Holy Scripture. But we are still novice apprentices when it comes to various aspects of pastoral ministry: sunday worship services, annual services, weddings, funerals, public prayers, creeds, hymns/songs, baptism, communion, pastoral counselling, hospital visitation (the chapters run in that order). After reading through the whole book, I felt that I had just graduated from the pastor-jedi academy, quite skilled but yet still an apprentice.

I am astounded by the Appendix. What a labour of love to compile sample wedding services from Anglican, Baptist, Lutheran, Presbyterian traditions! I was thoroughly blessed. If I could highlight the chapter I enjoyed the most, it would be Robert W. Evan's Chapter 11 on Pastoral Counselling. It is a tour de force that packed page after page of timelessly helpful and valuable advice. I heartily recommend this book!

I received this book from the Crossway's Beyond the Page Program in exchange for this review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment