Saturday, March 19, 2016

Review: Women in the Church (Third Edition): An Interpretation and Application of 1 Timothy 2:9-15

Women in the Church (Third Edition): An Interpretation and Application of 1 Timothy 2:9-15 Women in the Church (Third Edition): An Interpretation and Application of 1 Timothy 2:9-15 by Andreas J. Köstenberger
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While I thoroughly enjoyed the 2nd edition (see my review at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...), I was honestly disappointed with the quality of the 3rd edition. I felt that the 2nd edition was a trailblazer in setting the parameters of the modern debate in Western theological academic circles, the 3rd edition has been reduced to a slightly pitiful defensive posture. If I could borrow terminology from debating, the 3rd edition contributes more negative material (rebuttals) than positive matter (substantives).

Thomas Schreiner is one of my favourite theologians and commentators. But even his new chapter seemed to be too long winded and off focus. (Even though I resonated strongly with his chapters in Two Views on Women in Ministry (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) and in the 2nd edition). Perhaps there is not much new material to put forth on the table, and instead of reiterating the old substantives, the authors (and editors) to engage lengthy interaction with dissenting scholarship. My primary criticisms of the book's long-windedness and excessive (but often weak) interaction with other theologians does not render it useless. Most students would still find the 3rd edition useful for academic research, as the title represents a collection of the scholarship from the premier complementarian theologians.

Thankfully, S M Baugh's revised chapter on the background of Ephesus (where most scholars affirm Paul had written the epistle of 1 Tim. from) is a vast improvement from the 2nd edition. I enjoyed the chapter throughly. The roundtable discussion (Application) chapter is a great idea, though most readers would probably not give much weight into the opinions of "normal" or lay people. But if it were a group of pastors from established churches (like how the Gospel Coalition would video an interview with three pastors), or a group of theologians (maybe even the authors themselves), that would make the book worth many times its retail price.

The 3rd edition has 150 pages more (and in my opinion often longwinded) content than the 2nd, and I hope that in the 4th edition, presumably in 10 years time, would be edited with more brevity and be sharp to the point. If your seminary/church or public library has this book, borrow it! But I am hesitant to recommend this book to be purchased as an essential reference tool on one's bookshelf.

I received this ebook from the Crossway's Beyond the Page Program in exchange for this review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment