Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Review: The Beauty of Intolerance: Setting a Generation Free to Know Truth and Love

The Beauty of Intolerance: Setting a Generation Free to Know Truth and Love The Beauty of Intolerance: Setting a Generation Free to Know Truth and Love by Josh McDowell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had the perception (after reading his New evidence that demands a verdict) that Josh McDowell is not really a world class bible scholar; he appeals more to a popular audience who does not crave for the more meaty theology. The title of the book attracted me and managed to keep my initial skepticism at bay while I ploughed through the material. I sincerely did not expect to find out that not only did I throughly enjoy the book, I wrestled with the hardness of my heart to apply the Scriptural truths in my life.

The fictional case studies between modern parents and postmodern teens/young adults were relatable and very believable. I could imagine myself being part of such conversations. While I am not a parent, I relate to my postmodern roots as an intervarsity debater and my present worldview that I seek to be shaped by the Gospel. As I read through the chapters, I recognise my tendency toward legalism and harsh standpoints toward the postmoderns close to my heart. Indeed seeking to truly love a person whose worldview is opposite from yours is something that in our own flesh, we would find impossible. It is far easier to swing to either one extreme of being "tolerant" (a concept addressed at length and wonderfully explored) and accepting, or the other extreme of being completely "intolerant" and disconnect emotionally with a disagreeing party.

I heartily recommend this book!

I received this ebook from Barbour Publishing through Netgalley.com in exchange for this review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment