Monday, April 25, 2016

Review: 20 Things We'd Tell Our Twentysomething Selves

20 Things We'd Tell Our Twentysomething Selves 20 Things We'd Tell Our Twentysomething Selves by Kelli Worrall
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Maybe the book would appeal to their students, or to those people who are under their ministry, but I as a person who have not heard of who the authors were, found their illustrations and anecdotes from their lives not too captivating or engaging. After the 10th or so "thing," it took great amounts of determination to continue reading. Most books I rate at 5 stars would either be breathtakingly theological or passionately practical. This book suffers from not focusing on either.

This book was a challenge to read. I felt that the two authors could put in more effort into co-writing, rather than trying to mesh two separate scripts together. Because the book is based on the superstructure or foundation of their personal lives, many stories were repeated and after a while I was irritated as to how did the authors and the editors kept harping on those same illustrations. Well, I guess perhaps issues like these are bound to occur in a book's first edition, and could be weeded out in subsequent revisions. For an example of a book that had content woven seamlessly by two authors, check out Longman III and Allender's Breaking the Idols of Your Heart (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...)

One good idea that I took away from the book was the extra reading suggestion feature at the end of every chapter, where the authors suggest other books or bible passages for further reading.

I received this book from the Moody Publishers Newroom program for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment