Sunday, March 3, 2019

Review: Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion?

Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion? Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion? by Bruce K. Waltke
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As much as I hate to admit it, I am unable to shake off my charismatic roots and inclinations in relating to God. I, however, am rock solid in my conviction that Scripture has to be studied, taught and preached in context; exegesis is the only responsible method of conveying the Word of God - I can accept no compromises in this area. I am therefore caught in the middle of two seemingly contrasting traditions that advocate contradictory methods in seeking God's will.

Waltke's theological positioning is watertight and bases his substantives on a deep reverence and faithfulness to Holy Scripture. He starts off by explaining and cautioning against many wrong methods of ascertaining God's will that Christians, modern and ancient alike, are guilty of. He then lays out an easy to follow and convincing argument on the primacy of the studying/Scripture in understanding God's will.

I was anxious, confused and unable to discern about a major life decision (choice of career), having read this book again in 2019 (last time I leafed through it in 2015), I experience God's peace and a more informed seeking and decision-making process. I heartily recommend this book and hope that you too would be thoroughly encouraged, blessed and get pointed in the right direction!

Another good book on the topic (though not as good as this) would be Kevin's Deyoung's Just do something.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment