Sunday, January 13, 2019

Review: Pastors Are People Too: What They Won't Tell You but You Need to Know

Pastors Are People Too: What They Won't Tell You but You Need to Know Pastors Are People Too: What They Won't Tell You but You Need to Know by Jimmy Dodd
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Dodd and Magnuson couldn't be boring even if they tried - the content was engaging, captivating and highly relatable. I've had the privilege of spending five years studying in bible school, and have interacted with many pastors. They are dedicated to the Lord's work, their hearts beat for their sheep and yet I sense the toll of ministry on the well-being of themselves and their families.

This book is targeted at all Christians, and especially elders and board members. My heart broke many times as I read the regrettably lamentable real-life accounts of the pain and carnage that pastors and their families have been put through. Dodd and Magnuson both lead (two different) organisations that care for pastors, and with their vast insight and experience, provide a glimpse into the struggles, expectations and risks of pastoral ministry. They also provide useful practical guidelines and suggestions to care for the well-being of the pastoral staff, both in the form of pre-emptive measures and also resolutions for ministry workers who have flagged problems with their personal and family lives. Even if you arent in a position to influence church policy, there are still many viable suggestions for an ordinary church member to bless, love and care for their pastors.

I enjoyed the read so much that I bought 8 copies to give away; it's an easy 6 star rating for me! I heartily recommend and endorse this title!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment