Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Review: The Good and Beautiful Life: Putting on the Character of Christ

The Good and Beautiful Life: Putting on the Character of Christ The Good and Beautiful Life: Putting on the Character of Christ by James Bryan Smith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had to read this book as part of a seminary course. 95% of required readings are those really dry, dreary and boring books that I would probably never want to read if I had the choice. But boy oh boy was I proven wrong! I ended up buying the other two books in his apprentice series - "The good and beautiful God" and "The good and beautiful community."

The reflection (Smith calls them Soul Training) exercises were also mandatory requirements of the course and they were extremely helpful to plow through. (I would not have done them if they werent made compulsory). There was not a moment that Smith was indulging in questionable exegesis or upholding shaky theological claims. I thoroughly enjoyed Smith's engaging, passionate and easy-to-read little book. So much so that after I read the book I borrowed from the library, I bought one for myself.

I highly recommend this book! Small group leaders may consider journeying chapter by chapter with their flock. You'd be tempted to rush through it, but please try to refrain from doing so! There is so much reflection, healing and encouragement that could result from prayerful reflection and discussion with this book as a tool!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment