Saturday, November 4, 2017

Review: Studying the Parables of Jesus

Studying the Parables of Jesus Studying the Parables of Jesus by Peter Rhea Jones
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is an initial review based on the Parable of the Lost Son in Luke 15:11-32. I will update this in the future when I have utilised the book more extensively for the purposes of writing a bible study on the Parables of Jesus.

Across all criterion of juxtaposition, Jones' tour de force is my book of choice - be it for the purposes of academic writing, or for preparation of a sermon.

While Jones writes in an exciting, engaging manner, his intricate vocabulary use and numerous cross references to other scholars (both past and present) would narrow down the target audience to the advanced reader/scholar. With regards to depth, scope and clarity, Jones' commentary surpasses all twenty or so commentaries on Luke's gospel that I consulted for the abovementioned passage - textual issues, exegesis, interpretation, theological reflections and even questions for discussion/reflection are provided in the treatment of the text.

Interestingly, I found that I preferred Jones' treatment of the passage in comparison to Bock's magisterially extensive two volume tome of a commentary. Readers who are looking for an easier and lighter read would be well served by R Kent Hughes' Preaching the Word Commentary on Luke. Even if we to use its most similar compatriot (in term of number of pages), Arland J. Hultgren's the parables of Jesus: A commentary, as a better point of compassion, Jones still gets my vote (James Montgomery Boice and Robert H. Stein's titles are much slimer in comparision). While Hultgren's citations and cross references is many times more extensive than Jones, the former's writing is comparatively less engaging; Jones writes with a greater clarity and brevity without sacrificing much theological insight.

I requested this book from Smyth & Helwys for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment