Sunday, April 29, 2018

Review: Developing Emotionally Mature Leaders: How Emotional Intelligence Can Help Transform Your Ministry

Developing Emotionally Mature Leaders: How Emotional Intelligence Can Help Transform Your Ministry Developing Emotionally Mature Leaders: How Emotional Intelligence Can Help Transform Your Ministry by Aubrey Malphurs
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

This is a rather mediocre book, especially when you compare it to Aubrey Malphurs' other titles. After all, he is one of my favourite authors when it comes to Ecclesiology and Church Growth. At first, I thought it was because of my academic background in Psychology that made me feel that the book lacked substance and depth, but it seems that my gut feel was affirmed by the other reviewers on good reads as well. This book would appeal only to the extremely novice readers, for example, missionary teams made up of teenagers. Adults would probably be frustrated at the content.

The opening story caught my attention, but it promised too much of a magical solution to self-combusting missionary teams. The content was strangely unengaging and a chore to go through; I had to force myself to keep reading. It felt like he was harping on the same point over and over again, and I was hoping that Malphurs would "get on with it!" The nail in the coffin was how it seemed rather weak on theology (even though he had two chapters about the "biblical theology" of emotions") and if I were blunt, seemed more of a proof text approach. I can only hope that this is a rushed piece of work and that subsequent revisions would be thoroughly edited, and not that he has exhausted all ideas and can now only produce a subpar material. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this book.

I received this book from Baker Publishing Group for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment