Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Review: After 50 Years of Ministry: 7 Things I'd Do Differently and 7 Things I'd Do the Same

After 50 Years of Ministry: 7 Things I'd Do Differently and 7 Things I'd Do the Same After 50 Years of Ministry: 7 Things I'd Do Differently and 7 Things I'd Do the Same by Bob Russell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I requested for a review copy as I had read Russell's excellent "When God Builds a Church" - if you have yet to read it, I'd highly recommend it! However, I had half expected that as with most megachurch pastors, Russell could only have authored only one good book (with the others being of a so-so standard). I am most happy to admit that I could not be more wrong, this book has very much cemented its place on the rare never-to-be-sold-away 6 star (out of 5) gem.

As a senior minister/preacher who has retired for slightly over a decade, Russell writes earnestly, honestly and authentically; I did not send that he had anything to prove nor axe to grind - he simply wanted to bless the next generation of pastors/preachers. What with? With the vastamount of wisdom and experience he had accumulated - which often shared with an engaging, self-depreciating sense of humour. The appeal of and winsomeness of the illustrations alone would be worth the price of the book's retail value; I found myself to be genuinely interested whenever a real-world example was coming up and savoured every bite of it! I'd be hard pressed to pick which section of the book I preferred; I found both his regrets and best practices to be immensely handy.

As a seminary student with little ministry experience, this most wonderful labour of love has provided me with a glimpse of what forty years of faithful service would look like - warts and all - and provide endless food for thought! I could possibly spend a couple of months journeying a chapter of two on a weekly basis with a trusted friend in reflection, making plans and self-evaluation, and perhaps 5 years later, look back at this book and still find that it is still going to be incredibly useful! What I found exceptionally helpful was how Russell often shared about the temptation for self-glorification and how he sought to combat it - for good measure, Russell would add in a humourous story of how ordinary (or second rate) he truly was in reality when compared to his compatriots and staff.

In summary, this book was incredibly practical, highly inspirational and very realistic. I did not close the covers with a sense of how great a man Russell was - I went away with a sense of awe for the God Russell lovingly served for four decades. That perhaps, if a guy as ordinary and oddball as Russell could go the distance in the Lord's service, maybe I too, can also!

I received this book from the Moody Publishers Newsroom program for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment