Sunday, July 3, 2016

Review: Healing Breakthrough

Healing Breakthrough Healing Breakthrough by Randy Clark
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was horrified when Clark described his allegorical handling of a bible passage as "typological" (p29). In fact, I was so incensed that I put the book down and only managed to force myself, a week later, to finish reading it so I could write the review and get rid of it. ‎‎

I was amused to find that Clark too was not in favour of hype (Chapters 4 & 5). I had assumed that "these hyper-Charismatic types" would be cozying up with the over dramatisation of hype as readily as with the violence to Scripture.‎

When I picked the book up the second time, ‎I was extremely cautious of what I would read and had expected to give the book a 1 or 2 star rating. Clark's sincere sharing of his journey with healing did not "weird me out‎." Rather, I found that I was often reflecting upon and reconsidering my own Theological position on healing (that prayer would be for a desire more for God than the healing; that a heavenly grace be granted in the pain and suffering rather the removal of the latter). I was surprised and rather pleased by the substantial discussion about unanswered prayer (Chapter 21), which I presumed would often be a taboo topic in healing circles.‎

This skeptic‎ found that he was thoroughly blessed by and was sincerely surprised to have enjoyed the read.‎ If Clark or the publishers correct the wrong use of "typological," I'd be happy to revise my rating to 5 stars. Nevertheless, I would recommend it to all Christians, to the reformed and the charismatic, to the liberal and the conservative. Ministers and Pastors should find the book especially helpful.

I received this book from ‎Baker Publishing Group's Chosen Divison Blogger Review Program‎ for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment