Sunday, June 3, 2018

Review: The Spiritual Gifts Handbook: Using Your Gifts to Build the Kingdom

The Spiritual Gifts Handbook: Using Your Gifts to Build the Kingdom The Spiritual Gifts Handbook: Using Your Gifts to Build the Kingdom by Randy Clark
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The book is no magic pill for one to suddenly acquire the spiritual gifts; if I were it would head straight for the dustbin. The numerous real-life accounts provide readers with a glimpse of how others operate in the gifts and hopefully it encourages you as it did me of the diversity in how the Holy Spirit works in the lives of Christians.

As an expositorily-leaning, gospel-centered Charismatic who calls a reformed church home, I appreciate how this book represents the unity of the body of Christ. If I were to use 'Christianese' jargon to describe what Randy Clark, a Charismatic Protestant, and Mary Healy, a Charismatic Catholic have collaborated and gifted to us, it is a tangible display of ecumenical solidarity.

We Charismatics are usually prone to having an interest in church history or bible theology, and this book would be incredibly helpful to the peers whom I love so very dearly. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not have to approach this book as cautiously as I did to guard against proof-texted assertions (since I do not naturally associate Randy Clark in the same camp as the expositionally faithful reformed preachers/scholars), for substantives provided are introduced and supported with quotations and illustrations/accounts from saints of past and present, with of course brief Scriptural expositions and comments.

If I could highlight something in the book, it would be the opening chapter - the overview of the spiritual gifts provided, by itself, is worth the price of the book. I appreciated how Clark and Healy concisely summarised the differing interpretations about the spiritual gifts and represented opposing views faithfully and graciously. The brevity of the theological and church history framework thereafter presented provided an exciting read, a hallmark possibly of skilful editing.

I received this book from Baker Publishing Group's Chosen Divison's Blogger Review Program for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment