Saturday, June 10, 2017

Review: Two Views on Women in Ministry

Two Views on Women in Ministry Two Views on Women in Ministry by James R. Beck
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Disclaimer: I've only read the entire chapters by Keener and Schreiner, the editorial reflections and conclusion by Beck and Blomberg, and the appendix by Blomberg. As for Belville and Bowman, I've only read the sections they covered on 1 Tim. 2.

After having read 20 or so resources for an exegetical paper on the abovementioned passage, I have come to appreciate this book in a far different manner then when I first picked it up. (This book was the reason why I chose the topic and have found it to be the hardest I have attempted to date). Especially when I read the editorial commentaries, it helped to piece a rather convoluted mind of mine (if you are not messed up after reading so many resources for the first time where the authors go head on with one-another, let me know!).

It is so apt that I started with this book, and am almost ending my research with it. It will remain on my bookshelf for many years to come (I always sell/donate the books I do not like), alongside Grenz's excellent title (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...), which also provides an overview on the two positions. Grenz is however not as unbiased as Beck and Blomberg.

I highly recommend it and would give it 6 stars if I could.

And yes, one fine day when I'm holidaying in the Bahamas after I've retired, I hope to read the entire chapters by Belville and Bowman.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment