Friday, May 27, 2016

Review: Subversive Jesus: An Adventure in Justice, Mercy, and Faithfulness in a Broken World

Subversive Jesus: An Adventure in Justice, Mercy, and Faithfulness in a Broken World Subversive Jesus: An Adventure in Justice, Mercy, and Faithfulness in a Broken World by Zondervan Publishing
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This books ranks among a very select few in my bookshelf - those which I regard to be 6 stars. If Scripture is meant not only for knowledge but application, Greenfield candidly shares his struggles in obeying and applying God's word. Many books would focus on the theological necessity of justice and mercy ministries, and attempt to persuade the average educated, well-to-do (and relatively wealthy) Christian to action. But taking his wife and two young children in on the act as well, living in the neighbourhood of the poor in the slums of Cambodia and the inner-city of Canada, there is nothing to debate or argue in defense. Rather, I felt invited by the Holy Spirit to consider whether I have been faithful and obedient to God's call for me in my lifetime. At no point in the book did I feel preached at or guilt-tripped. Greenfield comes across as authentic, honest and loving, as he sought to communicate God's heart for the marginalized. While I thoroughly enjoyed the read, more importantly, I was compelled to reflect on my own life and my future goals. I heartily recommend this book to all Christians.

I received this book from the Harpercollins’ Booklook Bloggers Program for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. All views are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment